Sunday, November 06, 2005

Draycote Open

Yet another cracking event, this time at draycote water sc. 14 moths turned up to a chilly light/ moderate breeze. An outstanding statistic here is that 11 moths were foilers and only three lowriding, showing that after an initial concern the UK fleet are embracing the hydrofoil technology. Many of the main culprits were absent but there was still a healthy spread of competition throughout the fleet.

Keeping up an embarrasing tradition I missed the first race because I damaged my boat, more specifically the trolley removed the wand plate from the bow. Nothing a bit of superglue cant fix. While the glue hardened I took the oppertunity to watch the start, Sam Pascoe port tacked the fleet and took a commanding lead up the first beat. Off the line he looked like someone had lit a rocket on the back of his moth, amazing.

As a predominantly light wind regatta the lowriders prevailed, so I started looking at the races as a battle between the foiling boats, full results here.

I made it out for the second start, it was marginal foiling conditions so best left to the experts. I reverted back to lowriding mode upwind. Taking huge chunks out of the struggling foilers. I was able to foil a bit going downwind, not much though. My tactic paid off and at points I was the leading foiler, Adam May & Jason Belben (ex olympic sailors) were the only foilers to get past me by the finish. Good stuff.

However the wind built through the next couple of races and my novice foiling skills severly let me down. But there was a good battle with others in the middle of the fleet.

That evening we were treated to a fine roast dinner, one of the best I've ever had at a sailing club. Washed down with a few beers, and much sailing talk into the early hours...

We woke with a rather thick head the next morning, almost glad there was not a breath of wind on the water. All hoping the racing would be called off so we could let our hangovers clear. The race officer postponed till midday, at which point there was just enough wind for some people to want to go for it. So on went the damp drysuit and off we went.

Our efforts were rewarded, the sun came out and the breeze kicked in within about 15mins of being on the water. I can't really remember much about the racing as it all blurred into one, but I do remember loving every minute of it, and being physically exhausted when I got back to the shore.

Thats it for moth events this year, but roll on Weston early next year. If I'm feeling brave I might even do the 300 boat Bloody Mary pursuit race on Jan 7th, arguably the biggest winter event held at my club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home